TitleBrucecoe LodgeDescriptionBrucecoe Lodge is an Ellesmere homestead at 146 The Lake Road, Irwell. It is named for Thomas Bruce and John Coe, a partnership who owned the farm. It was built by John Coe in 1865 in the style of an Italianate villa, with architectural significance as the work of noted Canterbury architect
Samuel Farr (1827- 1918), who was briefly in partnership with the surveyor Cornelius Cuff
(c.1837-1901) between c. June 1864 and November 1866. Farr was born and trained in
England and arrived in Akaroa in 1850. He worked there as an architect and builder until moving
to Christchurch in 1862. Farr also designed the Christchurch Normal School on Cranmer Square
(1876, demolished), and Presbyterian churches at Papanui, Lyttelton, Kaiapoi and Leeston. He
was an early adopter of concrete construction; his best-known work being the Glenmark
homestead of 1877-82...Cornelius Cuff added the first floor to the Coe homestead in 1877.
(Source: 2021 Heritage report for Selwyn District Council by Dr. Ann McEwan)