Open/Close Toolbox
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 New Zealand License
Format: Image
Linked To
CollectionPlace
Map
Copyright
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 New Zealand LicenseThis licence lets you remix, tweak, and build upon our work noncommercially and although your new works must also acknowledge us and be noncommercial, you do not have to license the derivative works on the same terms.
- People
- Places
- Themes
- Surprise Me!
Menu
- People
- Places
- Themes
- Surprise Me!
Boggy Creek Settlement preceded Doyleston
Description
TitleBoggy Creek Settlement preceded Doyleston
DescriptionThe first village in the Doyleston district developed on the north side of Boggy Creek. Boggy Creek is now the boundary of Doyleston CBD.
John Rennie freeholded 100 acres on the east side of what is now Leeston Road, in 1863.
He leased nine acres of this to Richard Walters and his son-in-law, William Leslie, storekeepers of Prebbleton, in 1865. They built a frame (timber) house and a general store known as Creek Store valued for rates in 1866 at £15.
The Creek Store became agents for the Lyttelton Times in August 1866 and the Press in February 1867.
By May 1867, and through to August 1867, Mr. J. Wildermoth appeared to be in charge of the store.
A notice appeared in June 1867 stating that Leslie had sold the shop to Thomas Tennant, and by September James F Douglas (Douglass) was selling the Lyttelton Times at Creek Store.
A ploughing match was near the Creek Store in September 1867. In the evening between 50 and 60 people sat down to a very excellent dinner in James Douglas’s Creek Store. This suggests that the store was reasonably large.
Douglas became bankrupt in October 1868 but his case continued until May 1869.
John Johnston also rented half acre from John Rennie and had built a blacksmith shop and frame house which was assessed at £15 in 1867.
The section, which was probably part of the nine acres leased by John Rennie, was under the name of George Johnston in the 1868 Rates Roll.
Mr Frew, saddler, who gave a prize for the best-kept harness in the district at a ploughing match in 1870, also worked at Boggy Creek.
John Rennie had an “inferior sod house and stable” on the same rural section in 1866. The inferior sod house was still there in 1867 but a good frame house was under construction and by 1868, John had a good frame house and 6 horsepower steam mill rated at £45, on the property.
William Shaw bought the land west of Leeston Road and sold one acre to Thomas Donohue, a carpenter/wheelwright, who built a frame house and a shop.
A reporter described Boggy Creek in November 1868 as “a flourishing little township boasting a mill, blacksmith's and carpenter's shops, store, harness maker, bootmaker, and we believe a milliner. Need we add—a public house? The latter has not a very prepossessing exterior appearance”.
In April 1868 Tennant was declared bankrupt. Rennie recovered possession of the nine acres after taking court action in December 1868.
The Creek Store possibly became the Creek Lodge and so was used until the first hall was opened in 1871.
Information was gathered from Papers Past, Selwyn District Council and Archives NZ
Mike Noonan
Ellesmere Historical Society
Date30 May 2019
SourceThe Ellesmere Echo
LocationDoyleston
Geolocation[1]
DescriptionThe first village in the Doyleston district developed on the north side of Boggy Creek. Boggy Creek is now the boundary of Doyleston CBD. John Rennie freeholded 100 acres on the east side of what is now Leeston Road, in 1863.
He leased nine acres of this to Richard Walters and his son-in-law, William Leslie, storekeepers of Prebbleton, in 1865. They built a frame (timber) house and a general store known as Creek Store valued for rates in 1866 at £15.
The Creek Store became agents for the Lyttelton Times in August 1866 and the Press in February 1867.
By May 1867, and through to August 1867, Mr. J. Wildermoth appeared to be in charge of the store.
A notice appeared in June 1867 stating that Leslie had sold the shop to Thomas Tennant, and by September James F Douglas (Douglass) was selling the Lyttelton Times at Creek Store.
A ploughing match was near the Creek Store in September 1867. In the evening between 50 and 60 people sat down to a very excellent dinner in James Douglas’s Creek Store. This suggests that the store was reasonably large.
Douglas became bankrupt in October 1868 but his case continued until May 1869.
John Johnston also rented half acre from John Rennie and had built a blacksmith shop and frame house which was assessed at £15 in 1867.
The section, which was probably part of the nine acres leased by John Rennie, was under the name of George Johnston in the 1868 Rates Roll.
Mr Frew, saddler, who gave a prize for the best-kept harness in the district at a ploughing match in 1870, also worked at Boggy Creek.
John Rennie had an “inferior sod house and stable” on the same rural section in 1866. The inferior sod house was still there in 1867 but a good frame house was under construction and by 1868, John had a good frame house and 6 horsepower steam mill rated at £45, on the property.
William Shaw bought the land west of Leeston Road and sold one acre to Thomas Donohue, a carpenter/wheelwright, who built a frame house and a shop.
A reporter described Boggy Creek in November 1868 as “a flourishing little township boasting a mill, blacksmith's and carpenter's shops, store, harness maker, bootmaker, and we believe a milliner. Need we add—a public house? The latter has not a very prepossessing exterior appearance”.
In April 1868 Tennant was declared bankrupt. Rennie recovered possession of the nine acres after taking court action in December 1868.
The Creek Store possibly became the Creek Lodge and so was used until the first hall was opened in 1871.
Information was gathered from Papers Past, Selwyn District Council and Archives NZ
Mike Noonan
Ellesmere Historical Society
Date30 May 2019
SourceThe Ellesmere Echo
LocationDoyleston
Geolocation[1] Connections
Attribution
Click on the image to add
a tag or press ESC to cancel
a tag or press ESC to cancel
Boggy Creek Settlement preceded Doyleston (30 May 2019). Selwyn Stories, accessed 26/07/2026, https://selwynstories.selwynlibraries.co.nz/nodes/view/5260



